IoT Software Developer (ADS-B & Mode S)
Engineering – Stockholm or Remote
Flightradar24 is looking for a talented developer to lead the software development of our terrestrial receiver network that receives, interprets and distributes data from aircraft transponders including ADS-B and Mode S.
We operate a network of many thousands of receiver devices globally, including our own hosted hardware in addition to volunteers with a variety of hardware, including Raspberry Pi. This network is continuously growing as we bring new receivers online to expand our coverage and today delivers hundreds of millions of data frames every hour.
What you’ll do
- Develop and maintain Flightradar24's IoT receiver software using modern C++ in order to continue improving our flight tracking coverage and features
- Develop and maintain server-side software in C++ and Python for large-scale processing of incoming data from the receiver network
- Apply analytic, algorithmic and signal processing skills to solve software design problems
- Use your own initiative to drive the receiver roadmap through research of experimental ideas and recommending key improvements and features
- Liaise closely with the electrical engineering team to improve receiver hardware and coordinate the software support of new hardware
Who you are
- You have significant experience with modern C++ development for Linux and online services, ideally also in environments processing lots of data
- Familiar with common flight tracking hardware and software such as the Mode-S beast, RTL-SDR USB devices and dump1090
- Active interest in aviation interrogation standards including multilateration (MLAT), ADS-B (ES plus UAT), Mode S (DF17, DF18 etc), Mode A/C and more
- You have experience employing development best practices, such as test-driven development, unit testing, code reviews, continuous integration, etc.
- You know how to design simple, performant, testable, and maintainable software
- Proficient in using technical and aviation (e.g. ICAO) documentation
- Familiar with semi-embedded software development for e.g. ARM-based systems like Raspberry Pi
- Comfortable working with low-level structure and receiver hardware communication via e.g. SPI, RS232/UART, or I2C
- Experience with web development and web frameworks, e.g. for collecting and presenting statistics, would be a plus
- Excellent English skills (written and verbal) – Swedish skills are not required for this role
- An aviation geek, and quite possibly already a user or feeder of Flightradar24's services and network :-)
With over 2 million daily users, Flightradar24 is the world’s most popular flight tracking service. Our app regularly tops the App Store and Google Play charts and Wall Street Journal refers to Flightradar24 as the "Facebook of aviation". We also offer a wide range of commercial services and customers include many of the largest names in aviation.
We're constantly adding new services and improving existing products. To help us meet those challenges, we're looking for creative, collaborative and tech-savvy applicants to join us.
Benefits of working at Flightradar24 include:
- Opportunity to impact a service with millions of end users from all around the world
- Flexible and social work environment with free beverages, fruit, and snacks
- Modern office in the heart of beautiful downtown Stockholm, Sweden
- Being part of a diverse team with 15+ nationalities and 5 continents represented